Sunday, August 9, 2009

Let GOD write the love story...

Scenario: It's Monday afternoon, probably around 1 or so, on an extremely rainy day, and you're stuck inside bored. You turn on the TV. If you're like me (I don't have cable television), or even if you are, what's the first thing you're most likely to see at that hour of the day?

Soap operas. Talk shows. Jerry Springer. Maury. 99% of which are talking about "oh I LOVE this person so much, but they hurt me so bad..."

And that's just TV.

Which brings me to my point.

From the radio to TV to even in our school and work, EVEN IN PLACES OF WORSHIP, we see "love" hurting everyone. Teenagers breaking up, getting back together, continuing the cycle of pain. Adults claiming they "fell out of love" with their spouses and divorcing, when in fact the relationship was probably a mistake in the first place and they should never have been married because it wasn't love.

It's stupid!

Teenagers need to learn that they don't need a boyfriend or girlfriend to be happy. It's cliche but it's the truth. It's sickening how a teenage couple can be together for three days, say "we're in love" and be all over each other in the halls in high school. Honestly, kids, your version of "love" is sick, twisted, and is going to go the wrong direction. One out of you two is going to end up saying "hey, let's have sex, it's what people who love each other do" and unless the other person is a very strong Christian, has good morals, or both (which is doubtful considering the previous setup), they are likely to say yes. That, ladies and gents, is not only how illegitimate babies are made, it is also a sin. So quite honestly, that relationship is a mistake. Control your hormones and look for Jesus in the relationship or it ain't gonna happen. Not to be all preachy and prissy but it's true.

This is why I made the commitment not to date. Not only is it a lot easier for me to focus on the things I love most (praying, music, being a Panhead, friends&fam), but it also saves a lot of heartache. My heart is hidden in God's. Only a man who is in Christ will find it, and that will be whenever God tells me "you're ready". Yes, this commitment was inspired by Korey Cooper's, because it went very well for her, but she's not the entire reason.

Last year, I was upset for days at a time because I didn't have a boyfriend and all my older friends that I love most did. I wanted what they had. One of them (who goes through boyfriends like Kleenex) told me "Maybe God doesn't think you're ready to date." Not a wise statement coming from her, but I believed that she was right, and I've been contemplating this since I got my True Love Waits ring. So here it is, my cards are on the table, my heart is for God to change so that it will be ready when the one HE has chosen comes along. Until then, I will wait.

So in the end, here's my advice: I don't recommend for most girls to stop dating altogether, because I know that's up to you. But hold out on purity, and don't go off and say "I love you" to someone you've only dated for a short time, because unless you're not extremely jealous, unless you can stand to be away from the guy, even if you do miss him, unless you can still make time for your friends, it's not love, it's obsession. And obsession will get you in trouble.

Just something to think about. A lot of rambling, but I notice a lot of random things.

1 comment: